Tuesday 20 February 2018

'While you were sleeping...' the wild and free contest

PURPLESILVER COMMUNITY in one of its many activities carries out contests among members of its community.

The last one, being the first contest between the members of PURPLESILVER Community  this year lasted about twelve hours, in entry window time.

The voting window comprising of members on the community's online platform held a voting through an over nine hour voting window duration.

Entries came in from members who entered the contest ranging from simple and jocular to horror and tragic. All starting with the theme line 'While you were sleeping...'

Some entries were disqualified on the grounds of altering the theme line or late entry time.

The PURPLESILVER Community allows entries to be anonymous or in a pen name as options of choice to give freedom to writers who feel obliged to express themselves in an unpopular style or manner, or a way to safeguard expression without a stereotypical judgement from others.
Though stereotyped mindsets are unpopular in the community in what members describe as a community of open minded people.

The curator Anselm Sesugh Ngutsav said "this would be the best I have seen yet in a writing prompt, the strongest entries in a prompt entered in a single moment."

"The imaginations were as lucid as they were alive." He added.

I hope that particular theme line 'While you were sleeping... ' would lead us into another contest and or open up areas of discussion through worded art this time. With the hope of more entries and across larger spheres and in the near future.

The contest organised under the arm of the literary community called Guild of Editors carries out editing and other manner of editorial services for online and print Media and is in charge of the publishing dimension of the literary organization.

The contests through prompts in the past has offered prizes in different forms, as of this time, no word on the prize or reward for the winning entry which was the poem from Momoh Adejoh. The community is known for its versed interest in putting 'art first' though not in a way Donald does to America in his modus operandi of 'America first'.

See successful entries below:

Author: George Uzo Blac'

While you were sleeping,
Your demons stayed awake,
To fix you a long line of mistakes for the coming day.

While you were sleeping,
The Grim reaper sat somewhere close to your nostrils,
Waiting to find that breath that it would take home to mama.

While you were sleeping,
Your dreams stayed awake,
Hoping that you would wake up to dream more and sleep less.
- - -

Author: Victoria Hussein

While you were sleeping, I poured myself a drink and smiled at my reflection in the mirror. You stirred in your sleep and I had to stop myself from giggling at my hurriedly done hair and makeup. I had wanted to look good the first time I'd meet our daughter but you insisted she wouldn't remember any of it. You had been so freaked out by my water breaking that I didn't argue with you like I normally do. I took the clip out of hair and watched it fall to my shoulders. I was still wearing the hospital gown.

I made my way to your side of the bed and marveled at the sight of you and our daughter. We actually did it! I tucked you in and said a prayer because I knew you hadn't, it had been a long day. I traced your lip with my finger and let you sleep, you had to get up early for my burial in the morning.

- - -

Author: Angela Umoru

While you were sleeping
My heart broke into irredeemable pieces

While you were sleeping
My tears emptied into an ocean at my feet

While you were sleeping
My limp body endured the battering jerks of his passion

While you were sleeping
My innocence tiptoed into darkness without bidding me farewell

While you were  sleeping
My silence wrapped itself around like a cloak- comforting and choking

While you were sleeping
My father robbed you of a child, a child who chose eternal silence over pain

- - -
Author: Momoh Adejoh

While you were sleeping,
I felt his fingers warm,
then blood from hymen trickle

Before you woke he took cloth,
wiping filth then saying

‘my special girl
Daddy loves you most'

No comments:

Post a Comment