Wednesday 21 December 2016

YOU LOVE BOOKS? CHECK THIS OUT- BOOK REVIEW

  
     Last Sunday, during our weekly open mic, one topic we discussed was  "What is your favourite African book this year and why?" A lot of people had different things to say (most of which I can't remember...Don't cut me please) I mentioned my two favorite books.
One of this books you may not consider Africanish, but it is a favorite anyway. Here goes....drum roll please... Lol just kidding:

THE SECRET LIVES OF BABA SEGI'S WIVES AND  GONE GIRL. (But we will discuss the secret lives of Baba Segi's wives first)

I loveeeee these books. Mainly because of one thing ; suspense.

 I love page turners. I love sitting at the edge of my seat; my nose buried in a page. My eyes darting back and forth, left and right like a rusty typewriter, sucking my cheeks... You know that kind of feeling. I love page turners, and while The secret lives of Baba Segi's wives centers around social issues e.g. Illiteracy, polygamy, rape, lesbianism. It is interesting.

 I was suspicious through out the book. I kept guessing ( I was right by the way) why Bolanle couldn't have a child. For those who haven't read it, Bolanle is the educated wife of Baba Segi ...well let me not ruin It for you.  

 Also I love the structure of the book. Instead of chapters, you had name tags, Bolanle, Seed etc. I love how the author handles the multiple characters, pov. We hear each character speak; different personalities, different lifestyles.There is a mixture of Third and first person narration, and it works.

Anyway, it is entertaining, funny and genuine. If you're a fan of  " OUR HUSBAND HAS GONE MAD AGAIN " you'll love it.

Ps:  Read it and tell us what you think . Would love a feedback. As for Gone girl , I'll discuss that next time.
                                                                          
                                                                                                                                        Amynah

DESCRIPTION

AUTHOR: Lola shoneyin

PAGES: 245

AWARDS/ ACCOLADES: longlisted for the Orange prize for fiction 

PUBLICATION DATE: 2010

AVAILABLE: konga 





No comments:

Post a Comment